Sunday, June 3, 2012

Alligator good!

I am going to try to post my first recipe on here!  It's not a recipe I've ever made before--one of my best recipes will be posted later this week.  But tonight, I made alligator.  Yup, alligator.  I'd had it before in Baton Rouge when I was there for a French teaching conference, and loved it.  So this weekend I went to a farmer's market and there was a Swamp People-type man selling fish, shellfish and alligator.  I done bought me some gator! I decided to make something up, thinking that blackened alligator tail with a homemade remnoulade sounded good.  And you know what? It was!

First, I googled 'bkackened alligator.'  I love blackened chicken, but didn't know how to do it.  I found a recipe at exoticmeatsandmore.com that worked well for me.  Here are the ingredients:

1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
½ teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon dried chives

(I didn't have any chives, and a good substitute is onion roots, which I also didn't have.  So I put some onion powder in.)

Mix all these ingredients up then put on a plate.



I had 1lb of gator meat, which I cut up into big chunks for easier grilling.





I melted about 3 tbsp of butter in the bowl I mixed the spices in, cuz I'm lazy and didn't want to dirty another dish.  I brushed the chunks of meat with butter, then rubbed them in the spice mix.  After they were coated well, I plopped those suckers in a pan and grilled them on medium-high.  Every time I flipped them I basted with more butter.  




I grilled them til they were done!  Cut into them like you would chicken.  I'm not a chef so I don't do well with times and temps--I go by sight and how they taste.  Sorry.


For the remoulade, I used a recipe from foodnetwork.com.  It was OK--too mustardy.  I'm not including it on here, so you can find your own or buy some from the store.  If you make it I hope you like it!


Bonne chance mes amis!

No comments: