Thursday, August 9, 2012

We're ALL cray-cray!

Several years ago, when I was teaching, I decided to adopt the word 'gucci' and make it my own.  I used it all the time, to the horror of my students.  'Gucci' could mean anything-cool, good, got it, etc.  As a teacher, instead of asking if they understand, I'd ask, "We gucci?"  That way, not only did those who were listening respond to me, but those not listening immediately snapped to attention.  I was asked several times to stop using the word; apparently I'm too white.

I also used to word ad nauseum with my friends.  They rolled their eyes every time they heard it issuing forth from my facial orifice.  So, I needed a new word.  Something else I can use to bug my friends (not students, though, since I'm not teaching).  New word? Cray-cray.  As is crazy.  "Girl, you cray-cray." "Wow, that's cray-cray!"  I don't think I've quite gotten to the annoying point yet, but I'm working on it.

The other day, I told Babyla she was cray-cray.  My 3-yr old said, "she's not cray-cray, I'm cray-cray!" So true.

So my recipe I want to share today is a yummy dessert.  It's something my mom used to make when we were growing up, and everyone loved it.  It had never occured to me to try to make it until HH said he wanted it for his birthday.  I made it, and it turned out good!  Not as good as my mom's, but that's to be expected. 

(I make a huge mess when I cook, so I don't have pics of the process.  Also, I'm a terrible photographer.)


Chocolate Eclair Cake


1 box graham crackers                            2 tsp white Karo syrup
3 cups milk                                              1 tsp vanilla
2 (3 oz) pkgs Instant French Vanilla pudding mix
3 Tbsp butter                                           8 or 9 oz Cool Whip
3 tbsp milk                                              1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 squares baking chocolate

Butter 9x13 inch pan and line with graham crackers.  Prepare pudding with milk.  Beat Cool Whip into pudding.  Put 1/2 of pudding mix over layer of grahams in pan.  Put a second layer of grahams and top with the rest of the pudding  Top it all with a final layer of grahams. Then ice.

Icing: Mix chocolate (melted), Karo syrup, vanilla, butter, milk and powdered sugar.  Mix at low speed until smooth.  Spread on top layer of graham crackers in pan.

Refrigirate AT LEAST 24 hours before serving! You want the graham crackers to be soft.




No comments: